Join the Spark team to transform lives and inspire the future! And, while you’re at work, take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably fascinating. Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math through creative and entertaining experiences. If you would like to inspire yourself and others in this environment, Spark is currently accepting applications for a temporary full time Public Programmer to join our team until March 31, 2020.
The Public Programmer is responsible for developing and delivering STEAM activities, programs and events to visitors that exemplify the mission and brand of TELUS Spark. The Public Programmer utilize their creative, technical and teamwork competencies to create and maintain new, relevant and cutting-edge program experiences within a collaborative team environment. This includes programming for Adults Only Night, Signature Programs, Daily Programs, and Energy Programs for youth and families and special events and programming throughout the year. Core responsibilities include researching, developing, evaluating, iterating, training others to deliver programs, and documenting all aspects of the programs and experiences from conceptualization to evaluation.
- Research, develop, pilot and implement science, art, technology, engineering and math programming for the public audience
- Use pedagogical approaches to developing a variety of skills-based programming with visitors, including play-based learning, scientific inquiry, curiosity-driven experiences and scaled up spectacles
- Actively seek to understand TELUS Spark visitor needs and visitor outcomes through observation, consultation, and research.
- Train, mentor, and provide feedback to facilitators, educators and volunteers who implement programs. Ensure effective communication within TELUS Spark, including debriefs, and documentation of programs.
- Ensure effective communication before and after program delivery, including a debrief with internal stakeholders, and ensure the both the processes and programs are effectively documented.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external programming partners and collaborators including artists, scholars, industry professionals and community groups to develop strong public programs that will enhance the vision of Spark.
- Research, source and coordinate purchasing program supplies with the Resource Coordinator. Track and spend budget within approved budget limits and under supervision of the Manager, Public Programs. Consider start-up and on-going expenses when developing experiences.
- Maintain a healthy and safe work environment for visitors and colleagues.
- Three years of related experience in the field of public programming, public education, experience delivery or related field.
- A diploma, or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Experience developing, planning, and implementing a wide range of informal education programs
- Knowledge of principals, techniques, and practices of informal education as well as educational program design, development, and implementation.
- Proven empathy for and insight into visitors in free-choice learning environments
- Proven knowledge of and dedication to ensuring safety of staff, volunteers, and visitors
- Ability to manage and track program budgets.
- Physical requirements include bending, stooping, crawling, crouching, carrying/lifting (up to 30 pounds), pushing/pulling, reaching, repetitive motions, sitting, standing, and walking.
- The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings and weekends and must successfully complete a criminal record check.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to the Manager - Public Programs, Melanie Hall, with Public Programmer in the subject line to [email protected]
Closing Date: Interested candidates can submit their application, in confidence, by Sunday June 23, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.