Outdoor Programs Assistant
Shifts will occur at anytime between 9 AM and 2:30 PM, Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of school bookings, shifts may be sporadic. Busiest times will likely be Sept-Oct and March-May. Shifts will not likely run more than 5 hours.
Volunteers will be assisting the outdoor Spark educators with the facilitation and logistics of two outdoor programs:
a) Backyard Ecologists (for kindergarten students) and
b) Wetland Inquiry (for grade 5 students).
- Aid in the transport of program supplies from the Learning Centre to the Spark Pond or outdoor space before, after, or during a program;
- Ensure participants of the programs (including students, teachers, and parents) are adhering to water safety guidelines
- Communicate any safety issues or first aid incidents to the Educator leading the program immediately;
- Lead small groups of children (maximum 5) in inquiry-based learning through small group facilitation;
- Be dressed and prepared to be outside for up to an hour (in various weather conditions);
- Assist any students inside to washrooms during programming;
- Communicate with Education Coordinator regarding volunteer shifts, program iteration & improvements, student experience, etc.
- Enjoy working with children in non-traditional educational settings.
- Patience, punctuality, empathy, and enthusiasm!
- Comfort with being outside for up to an hour in changeable weather conditions.
- Experience working with children in an educational role an asset, but not required.
- Police Clearance