Applications due June 10
Interviews take place June 11 and 12 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Camps Superstars are a key support for our staff leaders during TELUS Spark Camps. As a Camps Superstar, you are primarily responsible for helping to create safe, fun, and educational experiences for campers. If you love science, kids, fun, and are looking for ways to build your resume, this could be the right position for you!
This is an excellent opportunity for aspiring camp leaders to learn about and assist with camps logistics. The experience and training provided by Spark camps help to create a great foundation for future camp leaders and educators. As a camps volunteer, you will develop a wide variety of skills and have a great deal of fun!
A day in the life of a Camps Superstar: our Superstar begins their day by facilitating group games like Bumpity Bump Bump or Falling Meteors before formal camp activities start. Then their Wizarding World camp group assembles and they help with the Invisibility Cloaks program, in which campers get to learn about infrared cameras and make their own cloaks. Once the morning is over, they help supervise lunch and then take their own lunch break. In the afternoon, they go with their group to see the planetarium show Our Solar System and the science demo Light Up Your Brain, which are both led by a live facilitator. Later in the afternoon, they manage materials and encourage collaboration between campers in Potions Class. Then, at the end of the day, they do a bit of clean-up in the classroom and prepare materials for the next day’s activities. (This day-in-the-life story involves our Wizarding World camp, and there are many other camp themes, too – all with different programs.)
- Camps dates: July 2-5, July 8-12, July 15-19, July 22-26, July 29-August 2, August 6-9, August 12-16, August 19-23
- Shifts run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Commitment: volunteers are asked to commit to at least two full weeks of camp (Monday-Friday except July 2-5 and August 6-9, which are Tuesday-Friday) or at least one consistent day through the summer (e.g. every Tuesday)
- Creating fun, memorable, and educational experiences for campers age 5-12
- Prepping and cleaning up camp activity materials
- Assisting with delivery of and engaging campers during camp classroom activities
- Supervising campers in galleries, demos, and Dome shows to ensure a safe camp experience for everyone
- Fostering a positive and energetic environment
Desired Skills and Qualifications
This position is best suited for someone who:
- Is passionate about working with children and youth
- Is positive, enthusiastic, and confident, capable of engaging and motivating others
- Has excellent people and group management skills
- Has valid First Aid/CPR certification (a strong asset)
- Has previous experience working with children and youth (an asset)
- Has previous camp experience (an asset)
- Mandatory volunteer orientation: June 22 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Mandatory camps training: date and time TBD (likely to happen during orientation but may take place at another time)
- Current police check (18+)