Vice President, Education and Learning
TELUS Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) through inquiry based learning and play. We live our values of Collaboration, Curiosity, Courage and Commitment on a daily basis. Join our team and, while you’re at work, take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably incredible! To contribute to making TELUS Spark a place that ignites a sense of wonder, excitement and acts as a catalyst for innovation and new ideas we are currently seeking a Vice President, Education and Learning.
To lead the growth and advancement in our priority areas of education and learning at TELUS Spark we are seeking a Vice President, Education and Learning to elevate our work in both formal and informal educational settings. In this newly created role the Vice President, Education and Learning will ensure TELUS Spark continues to be a leader in education, learning and innovation by developing, assessing, implementing, accelerating, and evolving formal, informal and paid programming opportunities. This position plays a key role in directing:
- The organization’s value as a community resource, by providing excellence in education programs that support the Alberta curriculum.
- The organization’s financial sustainability by developing and delivering TELUS Spark learning programs that support mission while growing audience and revenues.
- Leads the development, assessment, acceleration, implementation and evolution of learning and educational programs at TELUS Spark (including but not limited to: school programs, educational programs, registered programs, paid programs, distance learning and virtual learning).
- Raises the impact of the Learning and Education programs to continue to ensure that TELUS Spark remains competitive in response to market and community needs.
- Collaborates with the executive team on strategy and planning to set and establish long term (3-5 year) plans.
- Identifies, acquires and grows a strong staff team focused on the development, implementation and operations of successful and innovative education and learning programs.
- Cultivates a culture that exceeds transactional service delivery to students, caregivers, clients, and teachers to one that develops long-term, value-added relationships.
- Ensures the Education and Learning teams understand the directions and expectations associated with the implementation of the plans and the rationale for the strategies, focusing on the operating and business development implications.
- Fosters a culture that embraces formal, informal and paid programming as equally valuable education and learning opportunities.
- Acts as an active member of the broader community to monitor, anticipate, adapt, mitigate, and respond to changing conditions in the external environment.
- Ensures the delivery of optimal results against financial and performance metrics.
- Analyzes and identifies issues that impact operational performance and establishes initiatives for continuous improvement.
- Represents TELUS Spark as a spokesperson and builds and maintains a network that supports the mission of TELUS Spark through advocacy, operations, education and business development.
- An undergraduate degree in a related field (Education, Science, Science Communication, or Business).
- A minimum of 5 years leading an operational team and progressive and proven management and leadership skills within a dynamic team environment.
- Understanding and experience with the challenges associated with the operating, maintaining and ongoing development of an education and learning program in a non-profit setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and can adapt to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to follow business plans, however, still remain flexible to changes.
- A solid understanding of budgeting, operational planning, systems, controls and compliance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and attend events and functions after normal business hours.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience in business development is a definite asset.
The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings and weekends and must successfully complete a criminal record check.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to CEO, Jennifer Martin with Vice President, Education and Learning in the subject line to [email protected]
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found. Interviewing and selection will begin immediately.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.