Manager, K-12 Education & Learning
TELUS Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) through inquiry based learning and play. We live our values of Collaboration, Curiosity, Courage and Commitment on a daily basis. Join our team, and, while you’re at work, take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably incredible! To contribute to making TELUS Spark a place that ignites a sense of wonder, excitement and acts as a catalyst for innovation and new ideas we are currently seeking a permanent full-time Manager, K-12 Education & Learning to join our team!
The Manager, K-12 Education & Learning is responsible for leading a team of Educators to provide world class STEAM learning opportunities that encourage risk taking, exploration play and are inquiry based. The Manager, K-12 Education & Learning is accountable for the management, administration, delivery, performance, quality and growth of all K-12 learning opportunities at TELUS Spark. This includes, but is not limited to oversight and accountability for all K-12 field trips, workshops, Prototype Project, and the Open Minds Program. This position plays a key role in ensuring that all TELUS Spark learning opportunities for K-12 maintain a connection to the Alberta school curriculum and TELUS Spark continues to be a trusted partner of school divisions within Alberta.
- Ensure the K-12 learning team supports the mission, long-term vision, and public brand of TELUS Spark, through excellence in learning experience, community engagement, partnerships, education and strong relationships with management.
- Develop and lead a strong team of employees focused on development, implementation and operations of education and learning programs while fostering a culture that embraces formal, informal and paid programming as equally valuable education and learning opportunities.
- Provide input to the VP, Education and Learning regarding ongoing planning, direction, budget needs and strategic direction as it relates to K-12 learning.
- Monitor, anticipate, adapt, mitigate, and respond to changing conditions in the K-12 learning landscape and the needs of the K-12 learning team. Identify risks, develop contingency plans and collaborate with the VP, Education to solve operating pressures and act on opportunities.
- Maintain currency in leading edge innovations in education and learning and develop plans and implement tactics to evolve K-12 learning opportunities at Spark.
- Manage and propose necessary budget requirements for the K-12 Learning Team.
- Develop and maintain connections with Education Boards, Teachers, Principals, related organizations (e.g. Alberta Teachers Association, Calgary Teachers Convention) and individuals that generate advocacy, support the mission, operations, and advancement of Spark goals.
- Represent Spark as a spokesperson to the various partners in Education, stakeholder groups and/or general public while actively seeking opportunities in order to further organizational goals.
- Lead the development, delivery and growth of on-site and off-site K-12 learning initiatives that meet the needs of formal educators, the Alberta curriculum, and parents/care-givers.
- Lead a team of Educators to deliver K-12 learning programs that further Spark’s educational philosophy and connectiveness of learners to STEAM while highlighting curriculum connections for various ages skills and abilities and ensuring all learning objectives are met.
- Develop, nurture and maintain respectful, collaborative, inclusive and open communication channels across all of TELUS Spark.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment for K-12 Education Team, learners and guests.
- Related degree required, preferably B.Sc. or B.Ed. and 2+ years of related experience in teaching (or equivalent).
- 5+ years of progressive experience in K-12 education at a management level with a proven track record of achieving program growth and financial stability.
- 3+ years leading a team of educators.
- Proven ability to design, implement, direct educational programming and curriculum including setting deadlines and ensuring program accountability and quality.
- Knowledgeable about the Alberta K-12 curriculum.
- Demonstrated understanding and passion for continued learning in STEAM fields.
- Experience in the development and delivery of educational programming
- Demonstrated understanding of the foundations of learning and innovation processes.
- Knowledgeable about the principles of inquiry and discovery based learning.
- Demonstrated understanding of emerging trends and innovations in learning and the application of these to expand student success and connection to STEAM.
- The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings, weekends and must successfully complete a criminal record check.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to Dr. Elka Walsh, VP Education and Learning with Manager, K-12 Education & Learning in the subject line to [email protected]
Closing Date: Interested candidates can submit their application, in confidence, by October 25, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.