Manager, Adult Education
TELUS Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) through inquiry based learning and play. We live our values of Collaboration, Curiosity, Courage and Commitment on a daily basis. Join our team and, while you’re at work, take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably incredible! To contribute to making TELUS Spark a place that ignites a sense of wonder, excitement and acts as a catalyst for innovation and new ideas we are currently seeking a permanent full-time Manager, Adult Education to join our team!
The Manager, Adult Learning is accountable for the development, management, administration, delivery, performance, quality and growth of all adult learning, corporate training and Teacher PD opportunities at TELUS Spark. This includes but is not limited to oversight and accountability for all adult learning opportunities, corporate training, team builders and teacher professional development (i.e. SHIFTlab). This position also plays a key role in developing and securing new business by developing and maintaining partnerships with corporations and industry groups as well as maintaining TELUS Spark’s reputation as trusted partner of school divisions within Alberta.
- Ensure the adult learning team supports the mission, long-term vision, and public brand of TELUS Spark, through excellence in learning experience, community engagement, partnerships, education and strong relationships with management.
- Develop and lead a strong team of employees focused on development, implementation and operations of education and learning programs while fostering a culture that embraces formal, informal and paid programming as equally valuable education and learning opportunities.
- Provide input to the VP, Education and Learning regarding ongoing planning, direction, budget needs and strategic direction as it relates to adult education.
- Monitor, anticipate, adapt, mitigate, and respond to changing conditions in the adult education landscape and the needs of the adult education team. Identify risks, develop contingency plans and collaborate with the VP, Education to solve operating pressures and act on opportunities.
- Maintain currency in leading edge innovations in education and learning and develop plans and implement tactics to develop and evolve adult education opportunities at Spark.
- Manage and propose necessary budget requirements for the Adult Education Team.
- Develop and maintain connections with industry groups, corporations, Education Boards, and related organizations (e.g. Post Secondary Institutions, Trades Organizations, Professional Accreditation Bodies, Alberta Teachers Association, Calgary Teachers Convention) and individuals that generate advocacy, support the mission, operations, and advancement of Spark goals
- Represent Spark as a spokesperson to the various partners in Education, stakeholder groups and/or general public while actively seeking opportunities in order to further organizational goals.
- Lead the development, delivery and growth of on-site and off-site adult education learning initiatives and corporate training that meet the needs of industry, corporations, adult learners and teachers.
- Seek opportunities for further expansion, and actively support business development in learning program markets.
- Develop, nurture and maintain respectful, collaborative, inclusive and open communication channels across all of TELUS Spark.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment for Adult Education Team, learners and guests.
- Related degree required, preferably B.Com, B.Sc. or B.Ed. (or equivalent).
- 5+ years of progressive experience in adult education with a proven track record of achieving program growth and profitability.
- 3+ years leading a team.
- Knowledgeable about the principles of adult education.
- Proven ability to design, implement and direct adult educational programming and curriculum including setting deadlines and ensuring program accountability and quality.
- Experience in the development and delivery of educational programming in an adult/corporate setting.
- Demonstrated understanding of emerging trends and innovations in adult learning and corporate training and the application of these to expand learning success.
- The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings and weekend and must successfully complete a criminal record check.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to Dr. Elka Walsh, Vice President, Education and Learning with Manager, Adult Education in the subject line to [email protected]
Closing Date: Interested candidates can submit their application, in confidence, by December 15, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.