Camp & Youth Programs Assistant
TELUS Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) through inquiry based learning and play. We live our values of Collaboration, Curiosity, Courage and Commitment on a daily basis. Join our team and, while you’re at work, take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably incredible! To contribute to making TELUS Spark a place that ignites a sense of wonder, excitement and acts as a catalyst for innovation and new ideas we are currently seeking a temporary full-time Youth Programs Assistant to join our team from March 5, 2018 to August 31, 2018.
**This is a temporary position for the duration of our Spring and Summer Camps season. Typical work schedule will be Monday – Friday, but occasional weekend and evening work will be required.**
Your role will be to assist the Camp & Youth Programs team to plan, implement and deliver the TELUS Spark Camp and Sleepover programs. You will research, develop and evaluate hands-on inquiry based camp and sleepover experiences and support with training, supervising and supporting camp and sleepover staff. You will work with our volunteer department to lead the training, scheduling, and supporting of our camp volunteer teams. You will assist in the day-to-day support required to run a dynamic hands-on camp environment.
- Research, plan, and implement hands-on, inquiry based learning experiences
- Train, schedule, and supervise a team of TELUS Spark camp volunteers
- Assist in the training and supervision of the camp staff team
- Attend a week of inclusion training and develop inclusion training for camp staff team
- Provide extra support for Campers with exceptionalities
- Day-to-day support of camp staff team with such tasks as materials prep, support for challenging activities, filling in for leaders in case of illness, providing support in cases of challenging Camper behaviours
- Be an integral member of the Spark Education and Learning team, providing support where needed for our varied offerings including for example: school programs, professional development workshops, and Prototype Project
- Minimum one year of post-secondary education in a related field such as Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math, or Education.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working with and leading groups school-aged children in a camp or school setting
- Previous experience developing learning experiences for children is considered an asset
- A demonstrated passion for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM), facilitation, inquiry-based learning, and working with children
- High adaptability and ability to react quickly and confidently in stressful situations
- Valid First Aid Certification or ability to obtain certification prior to start date.
- The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings and weekends and must successfully complete a criminal record check including vulnerable sector screening.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to Paid Programs Coordinator, Erin Dumenko with Camps and Youth Programs Assistant in the subject line to [email protected]
Closing Date: Interviewing and selection will begin as soon as possible. Deadline to submit applications: February 26, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.